I’m not going to log my Reading, Writing, and Reps for each day, but rather write a summary of my week’s career education study and exercise efforts.
Reading and writing
I exceeded my 30 minute daily targets this week, by several hours each day. That’s actually kind of the point of having such a small target: if I’m able to sit down and commit to 30 minutes, I’m likely to continue beyond it if I get into the flow.
My reading and writing went together this week, as I’m revising a literature review on the pedagogy of career education that I wrote for one of the taught courses preceeding my candidature. While I’m reasonably happy with it, there were a couple of gaps and flaws because parts were quite rushed. So I’ve been going back and re-reading a few sources that I glossed over a little and re-writing the a few sections. In particular, I’ve been:
- shoring up my discussion of the statistical findings in the career intervention effectiveness literature, (such as Oliver & Spokane, 1988; Whiston, Sexton, & Lassof, 1998; Brown & Ryan Krane, 2000; and Brown et al., 2003). Stats isn’t my strong suit so I need to take extra care when writing about quantitative research.
- going into more depth about the “post-DOTS” career learning theory of Bill Law (1996a, 1999), particularly how it represented a development of the DOTS model.
- linking Bill Law’s career learning to the more recent career learning theories of Frans Miejers and his colleagues (Miejers & Lengelle, 2015; Winters, Miejers, Lengelle, & Baert, 2011), particularly with regard to their incorporation of Hubert Herman’s Dialogical Self Theory (Hermans & Kempen, 1993).
Here are my workouts since starting this resolution:
- 05/01/17: Barbell squats, bench press, dumbbell rows
- 06/01/17: Severe DOMS after first day back, so just playing in the pool with my wee boy and lots of stretching throughout the day
- 07/01/17: Barbell press, deadlift, ring rows, dumbbell clean and press
- 08/01/17: Bike ride
- 09/01/17: Kettlebell swings, band pull-aparts
- 10/01/17: Barbell squats, bench press, dumbell rows, push-up position planks, and cycling to and from work
- 11/01/17: Kettlebell swings, push ups
- 12/01/17: Didn’t meet the goal today
- 13/01/17: Barbell press, deadlift, dumbbell clean and press